It is now approaching 5 am Dili Time.. yikes! 🙂 Pretty soon, in about 2 hours, the alarm will be ringing. And we will start preparing for a looong day ahead. We’ll be taking the 2 kiddos to the CFC Leaders Conference. Hmm… which means we’ll be taking along lots of “luggage” that they will or may need for the day… (funny though, the other parents here in Timor can get by with bringing just the bare essentials…)
But for an OC mom like me, who likes to make sure that everything is prepared and planned for (yet is FAR from being the organized, uncluttered person I hope to be!), these are the “essentials” that will be going into the kids’ bags:
1. Extra clothes (2 sets for each kid)
2. Diapers and diaper change essentials for Rysse (Drapolene cream, cloth for drying those delicate, rash-prone folds, changing mat, baby soap *don’t want to use wipes anymore, as much as possible*)
3. Baby wipes (for cleaning hands, faces, feet, etc etc)
4. Hats to protect them from the sun
5. INSECT REPELLENT – must keep them protected from the rampant dengue and malaria diseases! using deet-free, citronella based (currently from humanheartnature) given by truest friend M!
6. Towelettes – 3 each (to wipe the kids’ sweat *hopefully not blood nor tears!*, etc)
7. Small rattle and teether for Rysse
8. Toys/activity books for Tim – whatever can fit in his Thomas and Friends bag (thank you, Ninang Gela!)
9. Portable DVD player and DVDs (in case of emergency only! To keep Tim still 🙂 Hmm.. but still deciding whether to really bring this!)
10. A pair of eating utensils each, in their portable utensil case
11. Tim’s baon (food & drink): Coco Balls and powdered Nespray milk (for breakfast!), cooked instant noodles (for lunch and snacktime: please forgive me, health-conscious moms everywhere!), 1 peeled pear, 1 peeled apple, wafer biscuits, 1 bottle of water
12. Rysse’s baon: mashed avocado and baby rice cereal (for breakfast), mixed vegetables and soya dry Cerelac (for lunch – to be mixed with water just before eating), 1 sippy cup of water
13. 1 extra bottle of water – just in case, it’s very, very hot here! 🙂
14. Small bottle of rubbing alcohol (disinfectant for those little hands, except Rysse’s!)
15. Breastfeeding bib – though Rysse HATES being covered up when she nurses! (And I don’t blame her! 🙂
Other stuff we’ll be lugging along aside from the bags:
1. Baby sling
2. Stroller – Either Tim or Rysse can use this. Hopefully Tim will take his usual afternoon nap, and if he does, this will come in handy! 🙂 He’s a bit too big for the stroller, but well, it beats carrying him for the hour or two he’ll be asleep! (Gotta save our backs, people! Especially if we’re planning for more kids a few years down the road!)
Sometimes Hubby looks at everything I’ve prepared to take along for the kids and gives me this “Why are we bringing so many things again?” look.. However, many times during previous conferences, I know he’s also grateful that I’ve chosen to “overprepare”.. Keeping the kids happy is our number one priority! 🙂
Though at times I do wish I were one of those easygoing, no-need-to-bring-anything-we’ll-just-make-do-with-what-we-have-and-what-is-there moms! Just like my dear co-CFC members here in Timor! hehehe. However, experience always tells me, never mind the extra “luggage”. At least there’s lesser chances of meltdowns and tantrums! 🙂 (Or am I doing it the wrong way and teaching my kids to be UNflexible?!)
What do YOU think??!!
Lots of “luggage” or travel light?
Looking forward to your comments!